YoYo Games, part of the Playtech family is the home of GameMaker: Studio(tm), the fastest and friendliest cross-platform game development technology out there. GameMaker Studio has been downloaded over 7 million times. We're on a mission to ensure game development is available to all.
About the Role
As Web Developer, you will be responsible for developing and maintaining YoYo Games' websites and online services, both internal and public-facing. You will lead projects from a technical side and mentor more junior developers assisting on projects.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Design, develop and maintain all the YoYo Games websites and web APIs.
- Backend product logic, server architecture and communication design.
- Collaboration with business, technical and management teams on design and development.
- Creation and maintenance of admin and moderation tools for updating content, product information and user accounts.
- Server setup and maintenance across dedicated remote servers (RapidSwitch), virtual cloud servers (Amazon EC2), databases (MySQL on RapidSwitch and Amazon RDB) and cloud hosting (Amazon S3, MaxCDN).
- SSL certificate management on multiple machines across all of the above services.
- Help mentor and grow the Web team.
Experience & Qualifications
- Excellent and current knowledge of web development techniques, languages and frameworks
- 2-3 or more years' web development experience in Ruby on Rails, PHP or another server-side language
- Linux command line (Ubuntu)
- NoSQL, design and optimisation (Amazon DynamoDB experience a bonus)
- Web server configuration (nginx, Apache)
- Amazon AWS expertise
- Back-end web development experience
- Relevant work experience in online commerce environments, distributed systems and/or developing large scale web applications
- Payment process integration (PayPal, Ogone, etc)
- Search engine setup (ElasticSearch)
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and project management skills
Education / Qualification
- Computer Science/Web Computing/ equivalent degree
- Experience with automated deployment (Capistrano)
- Experience working on the *nix command-line, both locally and on remote servers
- Knowledge of, or experience with, cloud-based services (Amazon EC2 and S3/CloudFront, MaxCDN, etc.)
- Source control (Git, Mercurial) and remote repositories (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
- Dynamic stylesheet languages (SASS or Less)
- Passionate about web development
- Excellent time management and prioritisation skills
- Highly organised with the ability to manage several projects at the same time
- Thorough understanding of Ruby on Rails, or another MVC framework
- One or more years' experience with Ruby on Rails
- Experience with eCommerce development
- Experience with GameMaker: Studio(tm)
A bit about us
YoYo Games joined the Playtech family in 2015. Being based in Dundee, we are thrilled to be at the centre of one of the most beautiful countries in the world, Scotland. The quality of life here is affordable and exciting. We have beautiful cities, vibrant nightlife, skiing, castles, hill walking and beaches all within easy reach of our studio. Dundee has 2 great universities and Abertay is considered one of the top universities to study Games design.
We believe in an open, relaxed and fun environment where creativity and talent thrive and is encouraged every day. From our humble beginnings, we have always ensured that GameMaker was built and developed with usability and efficiency in mind - and that's no different today. A single code base and a low barrier to entry coupled with a very high skill ceiling mean we accommodate all levels of user, from the hobbyists to the seasoned developers. We then allow all games to run natively across a multitude of platforms including PS4, Xbox One, Android, iOS, OS X, HTML5, Linux, Windows 8, Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT.
Founded in 1999, Playtech is a leading software provider for online gaming operators and can be positively considered as one of the pioneers of the worldwide online and land-based gaming industry. The company's business portfolio consists of the most prominent names in the business, including Bet365, William Hill, PaddyPower, Gala, Coral, Betclic, Winner, Betfair, Poker770, etc. Behind the eminent success of Playtech's products and services there are around 5,000 people located in 14 countries, the majority of whom are engaged in research and development of current and future gaming technologies.
Here at Playtech, we strive to constantly innovate - adding new applications and functionality to our already impressive product suite. You will find yourself working alongside some of the most talented professionals in the industry, with all of them consistently delivering quality work to ensure our brand remains at the forefront of the gaming industry.
For additional information on Playtech, and the Playtech Group of companies, please visit http://www.playtech.com
To apply for this position, send your current CV to firstname.lastname@example.org , with "Web Developer" in the subject line.
Playtech is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applicants
Unless otherwise instructed, we will retain your details on file for 6 months in accordance with the data protection act